The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Egyptian Pleasures

This morning there was a knock at the door.  Standing outside was my present to myself: Rere. 
It is now 3:00 in the afternoon.  My kitchen is clean, the rugs are vacuumed, wood dusted, floors mopped, bathrooms cleaned, and there is Egyptian vegetable soup cooking on my stove.  In my refrigerator is salad and tahina for the bread sitting on my counter.  For snack the girls and I ate grapes and we have mangoes sitting in the refrigerator. 
The funny thing is, I don’t remember going out for food or chopping any vegetables for soup.  And I certainly haven’t mopped any floors today.
I have discovered that my mother has been wrong all of these years: magic fairies do exist.  I just never realized that they speak Arabic.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Haaa.. The good old days of ex-pat living. I miss it, and slightly jealous of you all. We ourselves are working towards getting out of the States. Not because it is horrid here but for mangoes, local markets, and yes -the magic fairies.

UnkaDave said...

Very nice! Tell Rere thank you from your father. I'm glad to hear you have a nice helper, and I trust the relationship will end up being a good one for all involved.
And by the way, ask her to speak Arabic to my granddaughters.
And 2nd by the way, thank you very, very much for the postings. We love them, and appreciate the updates.

Laura said...

hmmmm, I need to borrow her.

PaulaJean said...

So THAT was my problem. I don't speak Arabic, the language of Magic Fairies.

Tyler and Rachael said...

and that is one happy post.

so glad you made it safe and all is working itself out. looking forward to checking back in to read your adventure of the day. enjoy those lucky charms!!

The Olsen's said...

One word! Jealous!