The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Three Family Events for the Price of One

Last Saturday was Kathleen's baptism.  She turned eight several weeks ago, but between a visit from a college friend and a wedding in Seattle, Saturday was the first free day to baptize her.  This worked out perfectly, however, because my Aunt Kathleen, who Kathleen is named after, also had a birthday on Saturday.  And since Eleanor still hadn't been blessed (mostly laziness), we decided to throw in one more thing to draw the crowds.  I'm very blessed to have family in town who came for the event.  I always love any and every opportunity to get together with family while we can.  


When I brought up the possibility of sewing Kathleen's dress, Brandon offered strong advice against it, citing the beach trip, friend visit, and wedding in the preceding three weeks as a good reason not to do it (and he was right).  I ignored him and did it anyway, finishing it several days before the baptism thanks to his good-natured and patient assumption of my household duties for several days in a row.  I think that I don't deserve him.


So now I've made the girls' blessing dress and the baptism dress.  I informed them that if they would like me to make their wedding dresses, they'd have to be willing to all wear the same dress.  We're going to have to see about that one.


The whole program was beautiful, with wonderful talks and prayers and piano playing from the same kind relatives who came out for the event.  As I watched Brandon lead Kathleen down into the font I was hit with the realization that I now have a daughter old enough to make a covenant with God all on her own.  I've noted the passing years (four more to go until babysitting age!) but their compounded meaning didn't strike me until I watched the ordinance performed by my husband for our daughter.  This is the first in a line of many things that will help me to realize my advancing years and the wonderful blessing of having such special children.  

Kathleen was excited for weeks and weeks and could hardly sleep the night before.  When we came into the children's room Saturday morning she greeted us with a huge grin.  "Today's the day I'm getting baptized!!!" she announced to the entire building.  She is a blessing to our family, adding her sunshine whenever the rest of us are grey.  


After the closing prayer was said, Edwin hopped up and announced, "Let's get out of here.  It's time for cupcakes!"  So we all headed over to a local park and had cupcakes after singing "Happy Birthday" to Aunt Kathleen.  It was the perfect end to a wonderful day.


3 comments:

PaulaJean said...

We're sorry that we couldn't be there, but we are grateful for family who came in our place.

Tracy said...

It is wonderful to see your husband filling his priesthood responsibilities and your sweet daughter making covenants. I can't believe you had time to make such a beautiful baptism dress.

Tyler and Rachael said...

Kathleen's dress is so pretty. How special for her to have you make it. What a wonderful day indeed!