Right now my children are all gathered around the fire in my parents' family room, listening to a story on a quiet Sunday afternoon. If all had gone according to plan, Brandon would be reading them Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. But instead of my husband, my father is reading the story (thanks, Dad!).
Friday afternoon it started snowing in Dushanbe and by Sunday morning there were about six or seven inches of snow on the ground. Somon Airlines managed to get their plane off the ground on Saturday morning, but Turkish (oh Turkish) didn't. Not only did they not get their plane off the ground in Dushanbe, they just kept the dang thing in Turkey. Somebody in Istanbul thought that, as long as they wouldn't be coming in Saturday morning, they might as well skip Sunday morning, and just come in Monday morning. Because, of course, it's perfectly reasonable for a large international airplane to cancel a flight and delay it for two days.
So instead of Brandon coming in at 11:30 on Saturday night, he instead was going to get here at 11:30 on Monday night. Thankfully I haven't displayed any major signs of labor (my due date is Wednesday) and and I could wait two days. So I called United, spent an hour and a half on the phone, and got Brandon's ticket rebooked.
Then I called Brandon. "So," I told him, "your tickets are fixed and you'll be here Monday night at 11:30. I have an appointment scheduled to be induced Monday night. Do you think I should cancel it?" Brandon thought for a few minutes.
"Nope. Just keep it. We've got return tickets scheduled and we might as well start the passport/visa/medical clearance process as soon as possible."
So we planned out Monday night. When the hospital called me to come in - between eight and ten or so Monday night - my mother would take me to the hospital and I would get checked in. It takes some time to get checked in for an induction (filling out paperwork, printing out ID bracelets, getting into a room, taking vitals, taking them again, starting IVs) and I would probably be starting my lovely pitocin drip about the time Brandon's airplane was touching down at the airport. My father would head to the airport, pick up Brandon, and take him straight to the hospital where I would be waiting with a change of clothes, razor, and toothbrush. Then we could start the party in earnest.
It would work. Hopefully. I have never progressed quickly in my labors and so there was a very reasonable chance that Brandon wouldn't miss much.
Now we just needed to get him out of Dushanbe.
Brandon called me this morning with good news. Turkish was sending the airplane on Monday morning. The driver who was taking Brandon to the airport called Turkish himself and confirmed the news. Everyone gave each other high-fives the children chattered excitedly about getting to see their father AND their new baby brother so soon.
Then during Sunday lunch this afternoon a text popped up from Brandon. His flight was delayed. I quickly started thinking of flights that left later than his scheduled flight. The direct flights to Boston, Toronto, and DC leave at three or so. That should work, right? He could still make my appointment at the hospital that night if everything lined up just right. Just maybe.
He kept writing. The flight was delayed by five and a half hours. I did the math. Nevermind. Brandon was not coming Monday night. I sighed with disappointment and told the children. Then my Dad called the OB who was doing my induction (I'm going to my Dad's former practice) and told him to cancel my induction.
Brandon wrote an excoriating review of Turkish online and fumed via text. Then he went to bed.
Since I last spoke with Brandon Turkish has delayed the flight three more hours for a total delay of two days and eight and a half hours. I'm not going to bother re-booking Brandon's flight until the airplane has actually taken off from Istanbul. Thanks to knowing a guy, my induction has been re-scheduled for Wednesday night.
But we'll have to see. Eventually Brandon will get here. And so will baby William. Hopefully Brandon will make it before William and not the other way around.
But one thing is absolute. We are not flying on Turkish this summer.