The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Monday, August 25, 2008

The Triumph of Draconian Measures

Kathleen turned two recently, and that signaled the true start of battles of will. Anyone who knew me as a child can testify that I generally gave my parents a hard time about being forced. And my parents are now enjoying the benefit of seeing me getting my own back - with interest.

Last Wednesday while at Grandma and Grandpa's house, Kathleen decided that, after asking for them, she was no longer interested in bread and cheese for lunch. Every parent has a breaking point, and I had reached mine that day. Never mind that we were on vacation. Never mind that we were going over to a friend's house for dinner that night. Never mind that I wanted to take a nap. Kathleen was going to eat her lunch. After 1 1/2 hours of crying, we called it a draw. She ate a piece of toast and I took a nap.

So this morning when Kathleen decided that she didn't want her egg anymore and dumped her milk all over the egg to prove it, there was no way I was backing down. I told her that if she didn't eat her egg, Sophia and I would take a walk while she would stay home - in her room (I confess I considered the idea longer than Child Protection Services would be comfortable with). So Kathleen went into her room, screaming, and I got myself and Sophia ready for a walk, turned on the sprinklers, and let Kathleen stew for awhile.

After enough crying, I let her out of her room and told her that if she would like to take a walk, she'd better eat her eggs. She didn't believe me until I threatened a return to her room. She knew I was serious, and after a little banana chaser to ease her pain, the milk-soaked eggs were gone. And we went on a walk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to be firm! Our 2 year old tantrums usually entail Xander telling one of us we can't do something. I think we have it easy. We just do it anyway! ;)