The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Food Star International Market

This spring I am enjoying my last few months in the United States.  However, I know that before long I will be cast adrift from my native soil, a stranger in a strange land.  Changes come to everyone and a big change is coming our way soon.

So, to practice for our new environment (wherever that may be), I like to go to my local grocery store, Food Star.

The first clue that one is entering foreign territory is the sign pasted onto the front window: 'We have the best food at low price.'  As one approaches the store other clues being to manifest themselves.  Iron bars are sunk into the sidewalk, wide enough to let people in, but not wide enough to let shopping carts out.  The only exit available to a shopping card is zealously guarded by the same shopping cart man that is there every day.  And several signs are posted in various languages warning customers that taking a shopping cart is illegal and will be vigorously prosecuted.

Once entering the lovely Food Star, one is greeted with a rack of Mexican pastries, waiting to be enjoyed.  And the aisle that these pastries lead to is labeled 'Indian food, Middle Eastern food,' with the adjoining aisle being the one for various Latin American foods.  The refrigerator case is filled with innumerable types of tortillas, and the freezer case with frozen fruits and vegetables unknown to me.

The denizens, of course come in all colors and love staring at me, the lone white woman perusing the selection of canned juices (tamarind anyone?).  But this is all practice for the real thing, so I ignore them and head to the check-out aisle and buy my mango juice before heading back to my native land.  For now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to warm yourself up! Next time, try breaking down the language barriers with a few foreign words. He he!

Brynn said...

It's like Market Basket in Chelsea! I miss being the only white woman in the store and having English be the second language of everyone working there :( The food is cheap and there's great variety (even the Gerber baby food came in any number of previously unseen types).

Sherwoods said...

Welcome to my life every day. I second the comment about Gerber baby food. The other day I went to buy Ty a variety and can even buy him Gerber cactus baby food. Ahh, the joys of being ex-pats! What are the chances of you guys coming to Mexico City?

Sherwoods said...

Welcome to my life every day. I second the comment about Gerber baby food. The other day I went to buy Ty a variety and can even buy him Gerber cactus baby food. Ahh, the joys of being ex-pats! What are the chances of you guys coming to Mexico City?

Sherwoods said...

Okay, not sure why that posted twice, but I just thought of something else. We just went private. Send me your email address and I will invite you. (amandajsherwood@yahoo.com)