The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Lessons learned from classic literature

This afternoon I went, for the first time, to the airport bazaar.  Since Wal-Mart and Carrefour don't exist here, everyone who wants anything goes to the airport bazaar.  Need a massaging hoola hoop?  Check.  Fifty-inch flat screen TV?  Of course.  Completely tacky/bizarre baskets covered in tulle and flowers?  What color and size would you like?  If it is made in China, they have it at the airport bazaar.

I wasn't looking for anything specific; I had mainly accepted my friend's invitation to get out of the house and leave my children with the housekeeper.  Sometimes I need to do that.

While strolling the aisles, I saw a scrub brush on a long stick.

"Hmm," I thought to myself, "our back patio is pretty dirty.  And even though it gets hosed down every fed days, it doesn't do much to actually get the dirt off the deck.  The children's feet are filthy every time they come in.  That place really needs a good scrubbing."

A few hours later, I walked in the door and called out to the girls.  "I've got a present for you!  It's so exciting!  And I bought two - one for you Sophia and one for you Kathleen.  Come and see!"

Within a matter of minutes they had filled a bucket full of water and were contentedly scrubbing away.  "I can be Cinderella," Kathleen informed Sophia.  "And me too!" Sophia replied.  "Yes," I told them diplomatically, "you can both be Cinderella.  You're twins."

I went inside and started dinner.  A few minuted later, Sophia came in howling and sobbing, "Edwin!  He stole my brush!!  And he won't give it back!!!"  I quieted the tears by giving Edwin a mop and all three went back to work, happily scrubbing, while I enjoyed cooking dinner without any 'helpers.'

Moral of the story: anything is fun if you can present it as a "surprise."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! Way to teach them how to clean and have fun at the same time. Most people do it with music, but this is even better. ;)

PaulaJean said...

Very clever! Now to just figure out a way to make cleaning toilets fun. . .

Just US said...

Did you want to send them to my house? My balconies could really use a good scrubbing :)

Daniela Swider said...

Man, that's like Tom Sawyer, only real. I need to do that with our balconies because they are plenty filthy but I am afraid that my daughter won't go for it. She's a little older...