The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

If they're illiterate, they can blame Facebook

Currently I am hiding from my children upstairs while Kathleen finishes her writing lesson, Edwin is hopefully not coloring on hymn books or scriptures, Joseph is waiting for me to get him up from his nap, and Sophia is crying in her room because she can't pull it together enough to read b-i-g.

Some days are good days, some days are bad days, some days are frustrating days in our world.  A year or two ago, I would have thrown up my hands, found a good book, bribed the children with Wallace and Gromit, and called it a day.  I still want to do that, today more than most days, but I'm starting to wise up to the reality that I can't hide from life in the pages of a book.  Or the J.Crew website.

The truth is slowly trickling out among friends and acquaintances here that I'm homeschooling Kathleen.  Most of the time when I am talking about it with them, they ask how I can handle it with four children.  I smile, say something about housekeepers, and almost admit the truth: some days I can't handle it.

However, since I've heaped the responsibility on myself, I have no choice but to handle it.  Or wave the flag of surrender and march down to the local school to enroll Kathleen in kindergarten.

So.  I'm now going to go back downstairs, pick up Joseph, calm down Sophia, and try again.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

PaulaJean said...

Isn't it a bummer that being responsible is often not fun??

Sam said...

Which is precisely why I try to avoid it at all costs.