The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Maybe I should have listened

Before Edwin was born, and even before Sophia was born, I had a conversation with my sister-in-law Alissa. At the time, she had two children, 18 months apart, and was pregnant with her third who would be born 21 months after his sister. She advised that one can have two children close together, but the third could probably wait awhile - longer than 21 months. I also received similar advice from another sister-in-law, Teagan.

I am now beginning to understand why most people don't have children so close together. This morning my mother had to be at church by 7, and my father had to leave at 8:30. Which left me putting on the girl's coats, putting on my coat, buckling Edwin's car seat into the back row of my parents' minivan while yelling at the girls to stay out of the car, buckling up the girls, getting into my own seat, driving three minutes to church, climbing into the back of the car, pulling Edwin out of his seat, wrapping him up, unbuckling the girls, herding them out of the car, telling everyone to hold hands while we crossed the parking lot, getting inside, putting Edwin down on an available seat, taking the girls' coats off, taking my coat off, and finally making it inside the chapel. And then repeating the same to get home with the addition of changing Kathleen's clothes, changing Sophia's clothes, changing my clothes, changing Edwin's diapers, and nursing him. And then we ate dinner.

However, it's too late now for regrets. Thank heaven for Rere.

5 comments:

bestgrandkidsever said...

Ashley, I did three kids three and under on a public bus in Taiwan twice each Sunday while your Uncle Alan was traveling down island supervising seminary students. Just so you know, you will survive, though I can't guarantee your sanity will still be intact. Sometimes you just have to utter a series of silent prayers to get through the next five minutes without hurting anyone!

Lindsay Edward said...

It's a wonder our parents didn't beat us senseless. haha You are a brave woman. Colin and I are trying to figure out how far apart to space our kids, but there's probably no real sweet spot. Thank goodness kids get to a point where they can feed and clothe themselves.

Laura said...

Ben and I just aren't having any kids. That way there's no discussion at all about spacing! Also, it's much more fun to spend my money on a new backpacking stove than diapers. :)

Unknown said...

Whew! Sunday is a day of rest? Yeah, right! Hehe!

Nishant said...

I can't guarantee your sanity will still be intact. Sometimes you just have to utter a series of silent prayers to get through the next five minutes without hurting anyone!

Work from home India