The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Crafts

I am not a crafty person.  Sure, I'll spend three days making a delicious dinner, but crafts?  You can't eat them, and they are just one more thing to haul around the world.

The one exception to this rule, however, is Christmas.  Last Christmas we made snowflakes, gingerbread houses, and wrapping paper.  Everything worked so well that we decided to have a new tradition.

Last Saturday we made wrapping paper.  Edwin started off the festivities early when he discovered the red acrylic paint during my shower and displayed his new-found skill at opening things.  I came out to find paint all over Edwin, the bathroom door, and carpet.

Luckily it was acrylic and several buckets of water and piles of towels later, you can't tell the difference.  I swear.

In the evening (after putting Edwin to bed as he'd already had his fun with paint), we cut potato stamps and made the wrapping paper.



And when the girls were in bed too, Brandon and I made our own paper.



Of course it's all going to be ripped up and thrown away in about a week.  But we had fun.  And we don't have to haul it anywhere with us.

3 comments:

UnkaDave said...

That's a great tradition! That's some fine-looking wrapping paper! Those are some goofy grandkids!

PaulaJean said...

And it doesn't have to be dusted. Nice tradition!

nelsonjeneen said...

Awesome! I agree... i don't like to do crafts just b/c it makes a mess, when I already have to clean up big messes around the house after kids 4 kids. I have been stumped for easy budget friendly Christmas crafts and this is great. Going to try it with my kids tonight. Thanks
jill