The views expressed in this blog are personal and not representative of the U.S. Government, etc etc etc.
Read at your own risk.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Version 3.0

On Christmas Eve, I was trying to rock Joseph to sleep.  While rocking him, I decided to use my time efficiently and load a CD to update the OS on our five year-old Mac.  The CD went in, made some spinning noises, and then came out.  I tried it again, and the same thing happened.  Then I remembered the same thing happening with a few other CDs, and realized that the CD drive is broken.

My first thought was that we would be fine without the drive working, and I announced to Brandon that it was broken.  And then logic caught up to me, and I remembered what we use our computer for when we're not renting a townhouse with an enormously large TV: watching movies. 

When Brandon and I married, I brought a laptop to the deal.  We had decided beforehand to not buy a TV, so we used the laptop for watching movies.  On movie nights, we'd put the laptop and speakers on a chair and settle down for a fine night of fun courtesy of the The Sherwood Family Home Entertainment System.

One night the laptop manifested Dying Stripes Across the Screen, and so the next night we marched down to the Apple Store and bought a beautiful white 21-inch iMac.  Now we could watch movies in even greater splendor on the Sherwood Family Entertainment System 2.0.  

It moved with us from my grandparents' basement to our little duplex to Arlington for A-100 to Cairo and back to Arlington.  We bought it when Kathleen was only two months old and now she's old enough to go to Kindergarten.  It has been a great computer, with the added bonus of being really easy to move.  Open box, insert computer, put styrofoam on top, close box.  Done.

And so keeping with family tradition, Brandon was at the Apple Store at 9 am Monday morning (after driving to Sterling to drop off a bassinet) to purchase Sherwood Family Home Entertainment System 3.0.  Seeing as our family has increased since the last one was purchased, we splurged on the big one.  

I can't wait to watch more movies on it.  When we finally clean up the third floor.

3 comments:

PaulaJean said...

Hey, I love my iMac so much that it made the luggage cut for Bogotá. Did you know that you can carry on a 21.5 iMac with the right bag that can be bought online from Bolivia? We also watch movies on it, it's much better than our TV.

UnkaDave said...

Looks like a winner! Ask us sometime about our continued bad luck with (borrowed) pirated DVD's here. Hope you can get better ones in Azerbaijan!

Just US said...

We love ours and it is perfect for watching movies!